Child Permission to Stay

Live lawfully in the UK as the Child of a Person with Limited Leave to Remain

If your child entered the UK on this basis, his/her leave will be the same as your permission. You and your child will have an expiry date and you must both apply to extend your permission before that expiry date or you will be in the UK unlawfully. You can apply for permission to stay at the same time as your child. For the child permission to stay extension, you must show that:

  • You are the parent of the child who must be under 18 years old and not already leading their own independent life; or
  • If the child has turned 18 while they have been in the UK, they can still extend their permission in this way if they were under 18 when they first applied to enter the UK. It is essential to show they are not leading an independent life
  • You have Limited Permission to Stay in the UK as the parent or partner of a British Citizen or a person with Indefinite Leave to Remain
  • You have sole parental responsibility for the child, or
  • There are serious and compelling reasons why the child should be allowed to live in the UK. You must show this is still the case
  • You are able to adequately accommodate and maintain the child

Working with us on your Child Permission to Stay Application

In many cases, the question of sole parental responsibility is central to the application. It can be difficult to prove a negative - that the child's other parent is not involved at all with the child and any decisions about their upbringing. We work with you to gather the best possible evidence to show you have sole parental responsibility.

If the other parent is taking some role in the child's upbringing or there are difficulties proving that the other parent is absent, it is essential to show that there are serious and compelling reasons why the child should not be turned away from the UK and should be with the parent here. This is where our knowledge and experience play a key role. We can argue that it is in the child's best interests to live with the parent in the UK and present evidence to the Home Office that there are serious and compelling reasons why the child should be allowed to come to the UK.

The Home Office looks very closely at Child Permission to Stay extension applications and it is essential that they are well-evidenced and argued.

How does the process work?

We will talk to you about your situation first of all and collect all the information we need to advise fully. The first 20 minute meeting is free. If you choose to use us to make your application, we then charge a fixed fee for the work. That means we do not charge you by how many hours we have worked - we give you a price for the job at the start so you know where you are financially.

We then gather all the evidence to support your application and make sure it is as strong as possible. We draft legal representations to ensure the Home Office fully understands your circumstances and the law that applies. Our lawyers complete the application documents and submit on your behalf after checking that you are satisfied with the application. 

In short, we take the stress out of the process for you. We know what we are doing and we keep in touch because we know that this is important to you. Contact us if you are worried or have any questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

My British husband has adopted my son who is Egyptian and here on the same type of permission as me. Does he have to renew this permission?

No. Your son is automatically British if he has been formally adopted by your husband under the UK adoption system. He does not have to continue to make applications for lawful immigration status.

I came here three years ago as the wife of a British citizen and my child from a previous relationship came with me. My relationship with my partner has broken down. Can my child and I stay here?

No, unless you can show that the relationship broke down as a result of domestic violence. You have a duty to inform the Home Office about what has happened and you are likely to have your permission to stay cut short. If there was domestic violence, seek legal advice as soon as possible.

Get in touch
Live lawfully in the UK as the Child of a Person with Limited Leave to Remain
Find out more about living in the UK as the child of someone already here legally. Call or email us for an initial free consultation.
Contact us
  • We couldn't praise Sallie and her team high enough. Extremely professional and acted very fast to meet our deadline. 100% recommended!
    Mr E
  • Always thorough and highly professional throughout the application process for both my children, and I would definitely recommend! They also had a welcome sense of humour when it came to dealing with the bureaucracy involved in the process.
    Mr B
  • Great experience working with Sallie. Professional and understanding! Will work with her again, with no doubt.
    Ms L
  • We have been very impressed with the service we have received over the years of dealing with Angela. She went above and beyond to solve our specialised problem with very pleasing results. We would strongly recommend her work and knowledge in the field. A true professional.
    Mr Aldalis
  • I highly recommend Sallie for her professionalism and lovable, kind approach. I am very happy to get her as my immigration lawyer for processing my kids Visa.
    Shiva K
  • I highly recommend both Angela and Karen. They both have been amazingly helpful throughout the visa application process of my wife. They do truly care for their clients. They look at the case in reasonable time periods and return with any missing information rapidly. Consulting them during this exciting yet stressful process was the best decision that I made. Today my wife got granted the visa just after 5 weeks of her biometric scans.
    Mr Yazici
  • They are so honest and professional . Clear answers and guidance to all my questions 👍👍. Thanks a lot .
    Mr Khalil
  • Just received a decision from the Home office that I would’ve NEVER thought was possible. So happy and over the moon! I would definitely recommend your services to friends & family if required in the future. Huge thanks to Sallie and the team, best immigration solicitor in the business!!
    Mr Bamba
  • Angela Cole is a wonderful, hardworking, honest, kind and reliable Solicitor. Her work is very high standard, very professional and her team is friendly. Me and my husband have no hesitation in recommending Angela Cole's excellent services.
    Ms Small
  • "Simply a team of experienced people who gave us excellent and honest advice. Having now taken an appeal through to a successful conclusion for the (very reasonable) price promised, I have no hesitation in recommending this firm."
    Jon Chrimes - Google Review
  • "The team went an extra mile and fought my case much more and much better than I would have expected. In the end, my case was successful and I cannot thank them enough for all they have done. If I ever need legal help in the future I will definitely use their services again and recommend them for their reasonable prices, supportive advice and first rate legal services."
    ANONYMOUS - Google Review
  • "Excellent people, excellent service. They made the process of bringing my husband to the UK painless. Couldn’t have done it without them, highly recommend!"
    Lindy Pine - Google Review
  • "I am ecstatic, thanks to you all. My life is complete now and anything else is a bonus. Even if it seemed impossible I knew we were going to win this and that is why I never gave up. Thank you for your work, support and encouragement."
    MRS. Last
  • A BIG THANK YOU , for your help in helping me acquire my British settlement and British citizenship application successfully done. Your professionalism and kind warm attitude and nature made this process very easy and stress free. You took all my concerns away. 

    My Lawyer, Sallie Davies, is very knowledgeable and competent and I have implicit trust in her. The fees are also reasonable compared to other law firms. I highly recommend Sallie and her team.
    MRS. H
  • Thanks to Sallie, my wife is finally in the UK after a horrible year and long delays with Home Office. Highly recommended Immigration Legal Services! 
    MR. B
  • Angela Cole and everyone at Immigration Legal Services will work to produce the best outcome for you and, from our experience, they only concern themselves with your goal and not your wallet. Immigration Legal Services' charge was a very good price for all the help and security they provided
    MR. C
  • Despite the high professionalism practiced within the firm, there is always a strong sense of compassion , and care, from both Angela, and lovely Karen, which has really helped to set our minds at ease. Absolutely recommended & Eternally grateful
    Ms. f
  • I would like to thank both of you, Sallie and Karen for your assistance in the way you handled my wife's Spouse Visa Extension to remain here with me in the United Kingdom. We will recommend The Immigration Legal Services here in Ipswich to anybody who wants to apply for a visa to come or remain here in the United Kingdom because the service they provided proved to be most reliable, simple and quick process. Much appreciated Sallie and Karen. Thanking you once again. We will be back again.
  • Excellent service, Sallie is very professional and lovely. Thanks to you what we thought it will be a long and exhausting experience, was so smooth and fast we couldn't believe it. Thank you very much.
    Mrs T
  • We engaged this firm based on a recommendation made by a friend who had used their services before. We required their assistance for my wife's first renewal of her spousal visa. The process was quite painless, they got in touch to collect documents and go over details but most communication was done by email. We received the renewal without any issues.
  • Sallie was the best solicitor I've met for immigration matters. She was straight to the job, focused on the matter and had an excellent transparent work process, a reasonable fee and no hidden charges. She is very helpful, confident and had the best communication. We got our parents' visa in one go! Thank you very much for the excellent job.

Useful Information

Changes To Migrant Worker Salary Levels Explained

May 21, 2024
Read More

The New UK eVisa - Immigration Status Goes Digital

May 8, 2024
Read More

UK Unmarried Partner Visa Rules Relax

April 26, 2024
Read More
Let us help you
Take a look at our services and get in touch with us today for more information.
Contact us today
© 2020 Immigration Legal Services. All rights reserved.

A Mackman Group collaboration - market research by Mackman Research | website design by Mackman

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram