Immigration Advice: All Other Types

Ancestry Visas, No Time Limit, Windrush and Travel Documents

There are other types of situations that we can help with and provide immigration advice on. We describe a few here, but feel free to contact us if you can't find what you need on our website - we are highly knowledgeable.

Ancestry Visas

If you have a British grandparent who was born in the UK, you can apply for an Ancestry Visa. This allows you to come to the UK to work either in employment or self-employment. After five years in the UK on this basis, you can apply to settle permanently in the UK.

You will need to prove your relationship to your grandparent and that they were born in the UK. You will also need to show that you will be able to financially support and accommodate yourself when you come to the UK.

We can prepare and submit an Ancestry Visa for you if you are currently outside the UK and wish to come on this route. We work frequently for clients who are not yet in the UK.

Travel Documents

If you are a refugee or you are legally in the UK but cannot get a passport for your country, you can apply for a Travel Document or Certificate of Travel which allows you to travel outside the UK and return. You must be living in the UK for one of the following reasons:

  • you have permission to stay as a refugee or stateless person
  • following a failed asylum application, you have humanitarian protection for a limited time
  • you have discretionary permission to stay for a limited time after a failed asylum application
  • you're settled here permanently (known as 'indefinite leave to remain')

You must show that you’ve formally applied for and been unreasonably refused a passport by authorities in your country, unless you have permission to be in the UK as a refugee or stateless person.

No Time Limit Applications (NTL)

If you have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain but you have lost the document which proved this or you have not been issued with a Residence Card as proof, you can make a No Time Limit application. If successful, you will be issued with a Residence Card to prove you hold Indefinite Leave to Remain.

You will have to provide evidence that you were once issued with Indefinite Leave to Remain and that you have not been outside the UK for longer than two years since that time. We can make these applications on your behalf.

Windrush Applications

Many people who came to the UK from Commonwealth countries before 1973 have found themselves without legal immigration status in the UK. This has led to terrible problems in some cases. The government has introduced a special 'Windrush' scheme to help these people get permanent status or British Citizenship. If you think you might be such a person, talk to us and we can provide immigration advice such as if you are eligible and what to do.

Working with us

We can make any of the applications above on your behalf. Contact us for more details. We offer a free 20 minute initial consultation on the phone or face to face where we can assess your situation and advise on your options. We can also advise initially by email.

At Immigration Legal Services, we apply the same high standards to all the applications we make for our clients. One of our experienced lawyers will advise you, prepare the right evidence, complete and submit the application with the same methodical care.

How does the process work?

Talk to us first and we will discuss your options. We use a fixed fee system. We give you a set price for the job you want us to do. This means we do not charge according to how many hours we spend on your matter - we give you our fee at the start.

Once you have engaged our services, we tell you what we are doing and ask for certain pieces of essential evidence. If we need extra evidence we will tell you and help you find it if necessary. Sometimes we need to find out about your immigration history - in that case we can make a 'Subject Access Request' to get your Home Office Record. Once the application is ready, we submit it for you and provide the supporting evidence to the Home Office. Then we wait for the decision and liaise with the Home Office if they need more information.

We take all the stress off you - leave us to deal with the complex law and the detailed evidence.

Frequently Asked Questions

I came to the UK in 1963 from India on my mother's passport. I have no proof of when I arrived and I have never been given any sort of immigration status. What can I do?

You may qualify under the 'Windrush' Scheme for British Citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain.  

I am not a refugee. I am here as the husband of a British Citizen but my country's embassy will not issue me with a passport. This means I cannot travel. What can I do?

It depends on why the embassy will not issue you with a passport. If you can show that they are being unreasonable, you may be able to obtain a Certificate of Travel which is valid for one year and will allow you to travel abroad.

My old passport had a stamp in it to say I had Indefinite Leave to Remain. I lost it five years ago and my employer says he cannot carry on employing me if I have no proof of my right to be in the UK. What can I do?

Your employer will need to see proof that you have Indefinite Leave to Remain or he will risk penalties for employing you. So you must apply for a Residence Card using the No Time Limit process.

Get in touch
Ancestry Visas, No Time Limit, Windrush and Travel Documents
We are happy to talk to you about your immigration situation - call or email us today to discuss your requirements.
Contact us
  • We couldn't praise Sallie and her team high enough. Extremely professional and acted very fast to meet our deadline. 100% recommended!
    Mr E
  • Always thorough and highly professional throughout the application process for both my children, and I would definitely recommend! They also had a welcome sense of humour when it came to dealing with the bureaucracy involved in the process.
    Mr B
  • Great experience working with Sallie. Professional and understanding! Will work with her again, with no doubt.
    Ms L
  • We have been very impressed with the service we have received over the years of dealing with Angela. She went above and beyond to solve our specialised problem with very pleasing results. We would strongly recommend her work and knowledge in the field. A true professional.
    Mr Aldalis
  • I highly recommend Sallie for her professionalism and lovable, kind approach. I am very happy to get her as my immigration lawyer for processing my kids Visa.
    Shiva K
  • I highly recommend both Angela and Karen. They both have been amazingly helpful throughout the visa application process of my wife. They do truly care for their clients. They look at the case in reasonable time periods and return with any missing information rapidly. Consulting them during this exciting yet stressful process was the best decision that I made. Today my wife got granted the visa just after 5 weeks of her biometric scans.
    Mr Yazici
  • They are so honest and professional . Clear answers and guidance to all my questions 👍👍. Thanks a lot .
    Mr Khalil
  • Just received a decision from the Home office that I would’ve NEVER thought was possible. So happy and over the moon! I would definitely recommend your services to friends & family if required in the future. Huge thanks to Sallie and the team, best immigration solicitor in the business!!
    Mr Bamba
  • Angela Cole is a wonderful, hardworking, honest, kind and reliable Solicitor. Her work is very high standard, very professional and her team is friendly. Me and my husband have no hesitation in recommending Angela Cole's excellent services.
    Ms Small
  • "Simply a team of experienced people who gave us excellent and honest advice. Having now taken an appeal through to a successful conclusion for the (very reasonable) price promised, I have no hesitation in recommending this firm."
    Jon Chrimes - Google Review
  • "The team went an extra mile and fought my case much more and much better than I would have expected. In the end, my case was successful and I cannot thank them enough for all they have done. If I ever need legal help in the future I will definitely use their services again and recommend them for their reasonable prices, supportive advice and first rate legal services."
    ANONYMOUS - Google Review
  • "Excellent people, excellent service. They made the process of bringing my husband to the UK painless. Couldn’t have done it without them, highly recommend!"
    Lindy Pine - Google Review
  • "I am ecstatic, thanks to you all. My life is complete now and anything else is a bonus. Even if it seemed impossible I knew we were going to win this and that is why I never gave up. Thank you for your work, support and encouragement."
    MRS. Last
  • A BIG THANK YOU , for your help in helping me acquire my British settlement and British citizenship application successfully done. Your professionalism and kind warm attitude and nature made this process very easy and stress free. You took all my concerns away. 

    My Lawyer, Sallie Davies, is very knowledgeable and competent and I have implicit trust in her. The fees are also reasonable compared to other law firms. I highly recommend Sallie and her team.
    MRS. H
  • Thanks to Sallie, my wife is finally in the UK after a horrible year and long delays with Home Office. Highly recommended Immigration Legal Services! 
    MR. B
  • Angela Cole and everyone at Immigration Legal Services will work to produce the best outcome for you and, from our experience, they only concern themselves with your goal and not your wallet. Immigration Legal Services' charge was a very good price for all the help and security they provided
    MR. C
  • Despite the high professionalism practiced within the firm, there is always a strong sense of compassion , and care, from both Angela, and lovely Karen, which has really helped to set our minds at ease. Absolutely recommended & Eternally grateful
    Ms. f
  • I would like to thank both of you, Sallie and Karen for your assistance in the way you handled my wife's Spouse Visa Extension to remain here with me in the United Kingdom. We will recommend The Immigration Legal Services here in Ipswich to anybody who wants to apply for a visa to come or remain here in the United Kingdom because the service they provided proved to be most reliable, simple and quick process. Much appreciated Sallie and Karen. Thanking you once again. We will be back again.
  • Excellent service, Sallie is very professional and lovely. Thanks to you what we thought it will be a long and exhausting experience, was so smooth and fast we couldn't believe it. Thank you very much.
    Mrs T
  • We engaged this firm based on a recommendation made by a friend who had used their services before. We required their assistance for my wife's first renewal of her spousal visa. The process was quite painless, they got in touch to collect documents and go over details but most communication was done by email. We received the renewal without any issues.
  • Sallie was the best solicitor I've met for immigration matters. She was straight to the job, focused on the matter and had an excellent transparent work process, a reasonable fee and no hidden charges. She is very helpful, confident and had the best communication. We got our parents' visa in one go! Thank you very much for the excellent job.

Useful Information

Lost Biometric Residence Permit: What To Do Next And How To Replace It

March 25, 2024
Read More

Sudden Closure Of The Ukraine Family Scheme

March 6, 2024
Read More

What Is The UK Electronic Travel Authorisation Scheme?

February 23, 2024
Read More
Let us help you
Take a look at our services and get in touch with us today for more information.
Contact us today
© 2020 Immigration Legal Services. All rights reserved.

A Mackman Group collaboration - market research by Mackman Research | website design by Mackman

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram