Our offices are now open Monday to Thursday. We are working remotely on Fridays. So please contact us on any weekday if you need immigration advice. In addition, the Home Office has published guidance for those whose immigration circumstances may have been affected by the pandemic. More Info

Adult Dependant Visa

For Parents or Other Relatives in Need of Care and Support

UK Immigration Law allows non-British dependent adult relatives from outside the EEA to come to live with British citizens or those with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. In reality, very few do.

Many British citizens or those with Indefinite Leave to Remain would like to bring adult relatives to live with them in the UK from outside the EEA. Perhaps elderly and increasingly infirm parents, or a relative with learning difficulties or who is living alone after bereavement.

There are different rules for the relatives of refugees or those who have been granted humanitarian protection. See our section on Asylum for details. There are also different rules for EU citizens (See commonly asked questions below).

The only relatives who qualify for this Adult Dependant Visa are those who are over 18 years old and are related to the person in the UK as:

  • parents
  • grandparents
  • brother or sister
  • son or daughter  

The law states that the adult relative (over 18 years old) must be 'dependent' on the person in the UK (the sponsor). That means the person applying:

  • must as a result of age, illness or disability require long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks and 
  • must be unable, even with the practical and financial help of the sponsor, to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living, because
  • it is not available and there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it; or
  • it is not affordable

The person applying must also show they will be accommodated and cared for in the UK without needing public funds such as welfare benefits.

In practice, applicants for the Adult Dependant Visa rarely meet the criteria listed above.

Working with us

Very few applications for Adult Dependant Visas are successful because there is usually care available in the country where the adult relative lives which is affordable and available. In practice, the Home Office expect the adult relative to require care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We always advise honestly when asked to assess the chances of such applications succeeding. If the parents overseas are healthy, an application will have no chance at all of succeeding, for example. We would never advise someone to make an application that has no chance of success.

If we think there is a chance of success, we will work very hard to make the application the best it can possibly be.

We offer a first initial 20 minute consultation for free and you can then decide whether or not to go ahead with an application and whether or not to use our services. Adult Dependant Visas involve gathering a great deal of supporting evidence. We will work together with you to do this. We will submit the application and write the vital legal representations to the Home Office.

How does the process work?

We work on a fixed fee basis. There is a price for the job we will do for you. We do not charge according to how many hours we spend on the application. That means you have certainty - we will only go above our fixed fee if the application unexpectedly becomes more complex than it seemed at the beginning. And we will tell you if we think that is the case.

"These three women are amazing and extremely friendly - they will not give you false hope. Many a time I was told they won't take on a case unless they are confident about the outcome."

Maria Ag

We do all the work - we just ask you to obtain the evidence we need from you and your relatives.

Frequently Asked Questions

My sister is Ukrainian and has just lost her husband. She is now alone, living in the Ukraine and has become very depressed. Can she apply to come and live with us in the UK? I am British.

Unless she is so ill that she needs round the clock care that cannot be accessed in Ukraine, the application will not work. Perhaps a visit visa might be a more realistic solution.

I am Latvian and I want to bring my Russian parents to the UK to live. Can I do this?

The situation for EU citizens is currently different. An EU citizen who has Settled or Pre-Settled status can bring dependent parents to the UK on an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit. The Home Office must 'assume' the relatives are dependent so the requirements are far less difficult to meet than those for British Citizens. This situation will not last beyond 31 December 2020.

I need my mother to help me because I have three children and one of them is severely disabled and needs round the clock care. Can I bring her to the UK to live with me?

There are no rules that allow for carers to enter the UK to care for a family member. However, the Home Office may consider an application for an Adult Dependant Visa if you can show there are particularly compelling and compassionate circumstances. These are complex applications. Contact us if you want to know more. 

Get in touch
For Parents or Other Relatives in Need of Care and Support
Call or email us if you want to find out more about applying as an Adult Dependant Relative.
Contact us
  • "Simply a team of experienced people who gave us excellent and honest advice. Having now taken an appeal through to a successful conclusion for the (very reasonable) price promised, I have no hesitation in recommending this firm."
    Jon Chrimes - Google Review
  • "The team went an extra mile and fought my case much more and much better than I would have expected. In the end, my case was successful and I cannot thank them enough for all they have done. If I ever need legal help in the future I will definitely use their services again and recommend them for their reasonable prices, supportive advice and first rate legal services."
    ANONYMOUS - Google Review
  • "Excellent people, excellent service. They made the process of bringing my husband to the UK painless. Couldn’t have done it without them, highly recommend!"
    Lindy Pine - Google Review

Useful Information

Windrush Compensation Scheme Events

May 26, 2020
Read More

Coronavirus and Immigration: What You Need to Know

May 20, 2020
Read More

Free movement will not end on 31 October 2019

September 3, 2019
Read More
Let us help you
Take a look at our services and get in touch with us today for more information.
Contact us today
© 2020 Immigration Legal Services. All rights reserved. | Website by Mackman and Mackman Research
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram