Our offices are now open Monday to Thursday. We are working remotely on Fridays. So please contact us on any weekday if you need immigration advice. In addition, the Home Office has published guidance for those whose immigration circumstances may have been affected by the pandemic. More Info

European Union Settled or Pre-Settled Status

Securing your position in the UK as a national of the European Economic Area (EEA)

EEA Citizens and their families already living in the UK before 31 December 2020 must apply for the EU settlement scheme and obtain Settled or Pre-Settled Status before 30 June 2021 to make sure they can continue living lawfully in the UK.

The free movement of EEA citizens will end on 31 December 2020. This means that EEA citizens coming to live in the UK after that date will need to satisfy new immigration rules. The EEA includes Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland.

Those already here by that date can get confirmation that they have the right to stay in the UK before 30 June 2021.

If you have lived in the UK continuously for 5 years, you will be given Settled Status or Indefinite Leave to Remain. You can live permanently in the UK.

If you have lived in the UK continuously for less than 5 years, you will be given Pre-Settled Status or Limited Leave to Remain. You can live and work in the UK and you can apply for Settled Status once you have been here for 5 years.

Family members who are not EEA Citizens must also apply for Settled and Pre-Settled Status.

If you have a Permanent Residence Card you will still need to apply.

Irish citizens do not have to apply for Settled or Pre-Settled Status in order to continue living in the UK. However their EEA or non-EEA Family members must apply.

EEA citizens married to British Citizens must apply.

There is no card or document issued with Settled or Pre-Settled Status. You are given a number which you use to access your status electronically.

Working with us

Unlike the previous rules for EEA citizens, you do not have to prove that you have worked or studied or been self-sufficient during your years in the UK. The Home Office simply look at the records held by other government agencies to see how long you have been in the UK.

There are other categories of people connected to EEA Citizens who may apply for Settled or Pre-Settled Status. For example: 

  • you used to have an EU, EEA or Swiss family member living in the UK (but you’ve separated, or they’ve died)
  • you're the family member of a British citizen and you lived outside the UK in an EEA country together
  • you’re the family member of a British citizen who also has EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship and who lived in the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship
  • you are the primary carer of a British, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • you’re the child of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who used to live and work in the UK, or the child’s primary carer

Sometimes there are problems with these applications. We will be able to work with the Home Office to resolve these problems.

We an also help you bring non-EEA family members to the UK before 31 December 2020 on a Settlement Scheme Family Permit.

How does the process of obtaining settled or pre-settled status work?

We can advise on, prepare and submit your application for Settled or Pre-Settled Status.

"There is not enough thanks in the world to say for helping me and my husband. We had been looking for help and couldn't get any better - Angela Cole with her professionalism did absolutely amazingly."

Liga Kurzemniece

You give us information about you and your family and we will advise on the best course of action, whether it is bringing a family member to the UK from outside the EEA or securing the status of you and your family already in the UK. We will then do all the work to submit a strong application.

If you have made an application yourself and been refused, come and see us.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am Indonesian and I am the mother of two Italian children. I have been here as their primary carer for several years. Can I apply for Settled or Pre-Settled Status?

Yes you can. You have a 'derivative' right to reside and you can now apply for Settled Status if you have been here on that basis for over 5 years.

Can I get British Citizenship if I have Settled Status?

Yes you can. If you are married to a British Citizen, you can apply as soon as you get Settled Status. If not, you must wait 12 months and then apply for British Citizenship.

Can I bring my parents to the UK to live with me? I am Portuguese and my parents are Angolan.

Yes, you can bring non-EEA parents to the UK before 31 December 2020 on a Family Permit. The Home Office will assume they are dependent on you. We strongly advise you to take legal advice if you are considering this route.

Get in touch
Securing your position in the UK as a national of the European Economic Area (EEA)
If you want to find out more about the EU Settled or Pre-Settled Status, call or email us. We offer a free initial consultation where we will explore your circumstances and discuss your options.
Contact us
  • "Simply a team of experienced people who gave us excellent and honest advice. Having now taken an appeal through to a successful conclusion for the (very reasonable) price promised, I have no hesitation in recommending this firm."
    Jon Chrimes - Google Review
  • "The team went an extra mile and fought my case much more and much better than I would have expected. In the end, my case was successful and I cannot thank them enough for all they have done. If I ever need legal help in the future I will definitely use their services again and recommend them for their reasonable prices, supportive advice and first rate legal services."
    ANONYMOUS - Google Review
  • "Excellent people, excellent service. They made the process of bringing my husband to the UK painless. Couldn’t have done it without them, highly recommend!"
    Lindy Pine - Google Review

Useful Information

Windrush Compensation Scheme Events

May 26, 2020
Read More

Coronavirus and Immigration: What You Need to Know

May 20, 2020
Read More

Free movement will not end on 31 October 2019

September 3, 2019
Read More
Let us help you
Take a look at our services and get in touch with us today for more information.
Contact us today
© 2020 Immigration Legal Services. All rights reserved. | Website by Mackman and Mackman Research
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram