Representative of an Overseas Business

Come to the UK to set up a Branch or Subsidiary of an Overseas Business or on a Long Term Press Assignment

You can make a Representative of an Overseas Business Visa application if you are from outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland and you are either: 

  • the sole Representative of an Overseas Company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company
  • an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK

If you are coming to the UK as a Representative you must:

  • Be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose headquarters and principal place of business are outside the UK and will continue to be outside the UK
  • Have extensive related industry experience and knowledge
  • Hold a senior position within the company (but not be a major shareholder). You must have full authority to make decisions on its behalf. You cannot work for another business while in the UK
  • Intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK. For instance, this could be a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary
  • You must not be a majority shareholder of the parent company
  • Unless you are from an English speaking country, you must have basic English Skills
  • You must be able to maintain and accommodate yourself without using public funds in the UK 
  • The Home Office will be looking at whether the application is 'genuine'.  This is a recent tightening up of the rules.  The Home Office will refuse an application if it considers that the new branch or subsidiary in the UK is "established solely for the purpose of facilitating the entry and stay of the applicant”.

Individual circumstances

You may also be eligible if the company has just a legal entity in the UK that does not employ staff or transact business yet.

If your company has been working to establish a UK branch or subsidiary, but it is not yet set up, you can replace a previous sole Representative.

Your Representative of an Overseas Business Visa allows you to stay for an initial period of 3 years and you can then extend your stay for a further 2 years.  Your dependants can come to the UK to join you.

After you’ve been in the UK for 5 years as a Sole Representative, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and permission to settle permanently in the UK.

Working with us on your Representative of an Overseas Business application

  • We will assess whether you fit the criteria for the Representative Visa. We are honest in our work - if we believe the application will fail, we will tell you.
  • Discussions will involve any changes the parent company may have to make to its structure to meet the criteria for this Visa.
  • You will need to provide specific evidence to ensure your application is successful. We will work together to gather this essential evidence.
  • We will submit the application online and provide the UK Home Office with the correct evidence. 
  • At the same time, we can make applications for your family to join you now or later on. 
  • In addition, we can assist you to extend your visa if you need to. 

Many entrepreneurs find this visa is a good alternative to the Innovator Visa.

How does the process work?

We have broad experience with visa applications to the UK from abroad. Our experienced lawyers can do all the work for you once we have the information and evidence we need. We will submit the application and evidence. You simply attend an appointment at the nearest visa application centre in your country and wait for the decision which should arrive within 3 weeks.

"In times of distressed and threatening deadlines, it's easy to manipulate you into a costly service options and charge outrageous fees, while taking advantage of one's emotional state. Well, Immigration Legal Services does none of that!"

Ars Pog

Frequently Asked Questions

I have been asked to come to the UK as the Representative for a company in Brazil. I work for myself and I have other jobs I want to do in the UK. Can I do this with a Representative of an Overseas Business Visa?

No. You must be employed by the company in Brazil and work full time for them. You must not take other work in the UK.  

I am here as a Student. I have been offered a job by an Indian company to set up a branch company in the UK. Can I just switch visas? 

If you are not a short-term Student, yes you can switch into the Representative of an Overseas Business Visa category. However, you must still show that you are sufficiently senior or have sufficient experience to meet the criteria for the Representative visa. 

I need to come to the UK to meet with potential customers with a view to setting up a subsidiary company. Do I need a Representative Visa?

No, you can apply for a short term Standard Visit Visa. This allows you to carry out certain business activities such as meetings, negotiating and signing contracts.

Get in touch
Come to the UK to set up a Branch or Subsidiary of an Overseas Business or on a Long Term Press Assignment
If you are an overseas entrepreneur thinking about setting up business in the UK, it is worth calling or emailing us to discuss your options. We offer a free initial consultation.
Contact us
  • Great experience working with Sallie. Professional and understanding! Will work with her again, with no doubt.
    Ms L
  • We have been very impressed with the service we have received over the years of dealing with Angela. She went above and beyond to solve our specialised problem with very pleasing results. We would strongly recommend her work and knowledge in the field. A true professional.
    Mr Aldalis
  • I highly recommend Sallie for her professionalism and lovable, kind approach. I am very happy to get her as my immigration lawyer for processing my kids Visa.
    Shiva K
  • I highly recommend both Angela and Karen. They both have been amazingly helpful throughout the visa application process of my wife. They do truly care for their clients. They look at the case in reasonable time periods and return with any missing information rapidly. Consulting them during this exciting yet stressful process was the best decision that I made. Today my wife got granted the visa just after 5 weeks of her biometric scans.
    Mr Yazici
  • They are so honest and professional . Clear answers and guidance to all my questions 👍👍. Thanks a lot .
    Mr Khalil
  • Just received a decision from the Home office that I would’ve NEVER thought was possible. So happy and over the moon! I would definitely recommend your services to friends & family if required in the future. Huge thanks to Sallie and the team, best immigration solicitor in the business!!
    Mr Bamba
  • Angela Cole is a wonderful, hardworking, honest, kind and reliable Solicitor. Her work is very high standard, very professional and her team is friendly. Me and my husband have no hesitation in recommending Angela Cole's excellent services.
    Ms Small
  • "Simply a team of experienced people who gave us excellent and honest advice. Having now taken an appeal through to a successful conclusion for the (very reasonable) price promised, I have no hesitation in recommending this firm."
    Jon Chrimes - Google Review
  • "The team went an extra mile and fought my case much more and much better than I would have expected. In the end, my case was successful and I cannot thank them enough for all they have done. If I ever need legal help in the future I will definitely use their services again and recommend them for their reasonable prices, supportive advice and first rate legal services."
    ANONYMOUS - Google Review
  • "Excellent people, excellent service. They made the process of bringing my husband to the UK painless. Couldn’t have done it without them, highly recommend!"
    Lindy Pine - Google Review
  • "I am ecstatic, thanks to you all. My life is complete now and anything else is a bonus. Even if it seemed impossible I knew we were going to win this and that is why I never gave up. Thank you for your work, support and encouragement."
    MRS. Last
  • A BIG THANK YOU , for your help in helping me acquire my British settlement and British citizenship application successfully done. Your professionalism and kind warm attitude and nature made this process very easy and stress free. You took all my concerns away. 

    My Lawyer, Sallie Davies, is very knowledgeable and competent and I have implicit trust in her. The fees are also reasonable compared to other law firms. I highly recommend Sallie and her team.
    MRS. H
  • Thanks to Sallie, my wife is finally in the UK after a horrible year and long delays with Home Office. Highly recommended Immigration Legal Services! 
    MR. B
  • Angela Cole and everyone at Immigration Legal Services will work to produce the best outcome for you and, from our experience, they only concern themselves with your goal and not your wallet. Immigration Legal Services' charge was a very good price for all the help and security they provided
    MR. C
  • Despite the high professionalism practiced within the firm, there is always a strong sense of compassion , and care, from both Angela, and lovely Karen, which has really helped to set our minds at ease. Absolutely recommended & Eternally grateful
    Ms. f
  • I would like to thank both of you, Sallie and Karen for your assistance in the way you handled my wife's Spouse Visa Extension to remain here with me in the United Kingdom. We will recommend The Immigration Legal Services here in Ipswich to anybody who wants to apply for a visa to come or remain here in the United Kingdom because the service they provided proved to be most reliable, simple and quick process. Much appreciated Sallie and Karen. Thanking you once again. We will be back again.

Useful Information


March 5, 2021
Read More


February 12, 2021
Read More

Employers - If You Need Skilled Workers From Abroad Next Year – Act Now.

November 13, 2020
Read More


April 22, 2022
Read More


January 28, 2022
Read More

After Brexit: How to Employ a Skilled Worker from Abroad - Including Carers

October 29, 2021
Read More
Let us help you
Take a look at our services and get in touch with us today for more information.
Contact us today
© 2020 Immigration Legal Services. All rights reserved.

A Mackman Group collaboration - market research by Mackman Research | website design by Mackman

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram